Monday 31 May 2010

Stone carving update


I've been working on the stone carving quite a bit over the Bank Holiday weekend and it now has a front surface which is gradually meeting up with the back. I'm not sure what it says about me but I prefer starting with the rear. I also remembered a great tip from one of my favourite old art teachers (Joe Burrows who is still producing wonderful pieces even though he retired from teaching 20 years ago) - he advised carving the stone in a tray of sand, which as the piece looses its regular surfaces is a sure way of holding the stone in almost any position - and it helps absorb some of the impact thereby reducing the noise a little too - a win all round I reckon.

1 comment:

Delbert said...

It’s a marvelous picture of a lady, who is lying down in your blog. As Stone carving might represent one of the lowest cost art pursuits it doesn't reduce from the importance of the carving style. All through history societies and cultures which have disappeared or advanced are usually defined by their art which survived over time, mainly with the art of rock carving.